While writing a portfolio entry for a website I recently made, I took a screenshot of the photo viewer of the new website and uploaded it to my website. I realized that we were using the same photo viewer and it made a viewer within a viewer effect. I proceeded to create the master piece you see below. Enjoy with my compliments. (Click the first one, then click through to see the rest)
Once the original photo was too small to see, I decided to stop. Something else interesting to note is that the file size of each subsequent image is slightly smaller than the last. This kept going until it got to about 130kb. At this point they all hovered around this number with a few slightly higher and a few slightly lower with no real pattern. I suppose this is the breaking point where the compound compression on each image reached it’s limit without any additional JPEG compression on my part.
The only other thing worth mentioning about this process is that my wife rolled her eyes a lot while I was doing this.